The Best Innerspring Mattresses
Innerspring Mattresses are the tried and true option available for your baby’s crib. When selecting a spring mattress it’s important to remember, the firmer the better. Soft sleeping surfaces pose a suffocation hazard to newborns and should be avoided in the selection process.
To guarantee you’re choosing a firm enough mattress, it’s important to look for coil count as well as the gauge strength. The lower the gauge, the stronger the steel being used in the coils. We recommend a gauge of 15.5 or lower to ensure coil strength. For selecting the correct coil count, the higher the number, the firmer the mattress. Nursery Hero recommends a count between 130 and 150 coils in combination with gauge strength for optimum firmness. Unfortunately, a firmer mattress means a heavier overall weight which can be cumbersome during frequent sheet changes. That’s why many parents opt for a foam baby mattress instead of an innerspring.
If you do ultimately decide on an innerspring mattress for baby, other features to consider in your selection process include:
- The number and the quality of layers
- Insulator Pad
Layer between the coils and the cushioning. Coir Fiber (shredded coconut shells) is higher quality and will cost more than a Fiber Wrap Pad.
- Cushioning Layers
Can be foam or cotton padding designed for overall comfort.
- Fabric or Vinyl Cover
Fabric offers more breathability, but ventilation holes are often added for air circulation. A multilayer vinyl cover is able to withstand more wear and tear, including stains, than a fabric one.
- Insulator Pad
- Border rods as structural reinforcements for when baby begins to stand
- Dual firmness (a firmer infant side, and a softer toddler side)
Below we’ve selected and reviewed three of the top-rated innerspring crib mattresses.
With a consistent 4.9 rating, the Serta Tranquility Eco Mattress is certified for indoor air quality, making it a great fit for your dream nursery. The dual sided firmness means there is a toddler side with extra cotton cushioning, which means the mattress grows as your baby grows.
The Serta Tranquility also features:
- Mattress thickness of 6 inches
- 120 heavy duty innerspring coils (gauge unspecified)
- Full perimeter border wire
- Reinforced embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover
- Ortho-insulated layer for support
- Air vents for breathability
- Greenguard Gold Certified and Certi-PUR US approved
- Made in the USA
With a 4.6 Rating, the Ultra II is one of the top picks in Innerspring Crib Mattresses. With a 150 coil count at 13.5 gauge, it is the optimum sleeping surface and firmness for newborns. Weighing 9.6lbs, it’ll be easier to lift when changing those fitted crib sheets. The triple layered waterproof cover withstands those spills and leaks, though we still recommend using a fitted waterproof cover.
The Colgate Ultra II also features:
- Mattress thickness of 5.25 inches
- High quality Coir Fiber insulator pad
- 9.0 gauge border rods for durability
- Natural cotton flammability barrier
- GREENGUARD Gold Children & Schools Certified
- Made in Atlanta, GA, US
If you are interested in the organic option, the EcoSpring Ultra II is also rated above 4.6 stars with identical features, but made of natural products.
Baby Firm Rest Crib Mattress by Sealy
Rated 4.2 stars by moms and dads, the Sealy mattress brand is one of the most trusted. With 204 heat-tempered steel coils, the firm orthopedic support is exactly what new baby needs. The mattress has reinforced steel border rods to ensure the mattress doesn’t slouch as baby begins to stand.
The Baby Firm Rest Mattress also features:
- Hospital-grade antibacterial waterproof cover
- Multiple hypoallergenic layers cushioning
- Greenguard Gold Certified
- Made in the North Carolina, USA